The first episode of the Smash Depression Podcast is online and available for download.
Download Episode 001 with guest Susan Noonan
MP3 | 47 minutes | 21 MB
It’s also available on YouTube, if that’s more convenient. Or you can listen in the embedded player at the bottom of this post.
The opening segment introduces the podcast, my reasons for starting a podcast about depression and my basic thinking about how to fight depression. That runs about 15 minutes.
The second segment consists of an interview with Dr. Susan Noonan, author of Managing Your Depression: What You Can Do To Feel Better. It’s an excellent book, and our conversation was lively and informative. The interview begins around the 16:45 mark and runs 30 minutes.
Managing Your Depression: What You Can Do to Feel Better
Dr. Susan Noonan
Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013
Our conversation touched on various topics, including:
- Why taking care of your physical health — especially exercise, diet and sleep — is so important for depression sufferers.
- How keeping structure in your life and sticking to daily routines can help with depression.
- The value of “defining your baseline” and staying connected to your inner sense of self.
- How writing and using worksheets can focus your efforts to fight depression.
- The recurring nature of depression, the danger of relapse, and the importance of following your anti-depression action plan and watching for warning signs even when you’re feeling strong.
Putting together this first episode involved countless small hurdles, but I managed to plow through procrastination and impostor syndrome impulses and just get it done. Expect some flaws here and there, and expect subsequent episodes to get progressively more professional.
Music credit: “Modulation of the Spirit” by Little Glass Men.